Keegan-Filion Farm Recipe
Pork Sausage and Rice Skillet
Source: Southern Home Express
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 pound of ground pork sausage
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- One 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium sliced zucchini (optional)
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a large skillet heated on medium-high. Swirl it around until the pan is well coated.
- Add the pork sausage to the skillet and break it up. As the sausage browns, turn the heat down to medium-low.
- If there is excess oil after the sausage browns, drain all but a tablespoon because you need some oil to help cook the onions and add flavor.
- Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- If you want to add the sliced zucchini, add it now. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add the rice, water, salt, and pepper. Stir. Turn the heat down to low.
- Cover and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Serve hot.